Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Wed Jul 26, 2000  2:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] OTL's, fach, and stroboscopy

In a message dated 07/25/2000 9:35:05 PM Central Daylight Time,
JJHolzmeier@w... writes:

<<
Now comes the part that I found...surprising. After the examination,
which was performed using a laryngeal mirror, he diagnosed that she was
really a mezzo. From what I gather, he based the decision on her
symptoms and her speaking voice (which is somewhat low). >>

Could her speaking voice be part of the problem? Sometimes women-maybe men
also-but women for sure sort ot "invent" a lower speaking voice than nature
intended them to have. When I was in speech therapy pre and post surgery for
a polyp my therapist cautioned me repeatedly to keep an "ear" on my speaking
pitch.

As for her vocal fatigue-the high larynx, throat tension (which I don't
believe can be assessed with a mirror....), and change in tessitura can all
be factors. However, could it be likely that she is carrying too much
"weight" into her upper register? I am the queen of this-I made the alto to
soprano switch, have a high larynx, invented tension, and realizing that I
was trying to sing my high notes just like my middle notes has been a huge
revelation to me.

Just some thoughts. I am by no means an expert!!

Leslie

emusic.com