Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jul 25, 2000  9:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] is icecream bad for voice?

Forgive my possible heresy, but it seems to me that excess mucus or phlegm
may form higher in the vocal tract in sufficient quantity to flow down onto
the vocal chords, even when not formed at the chords themselves.
Additionally any excess of either phlegm or any kind of inflammation in the
resonating parts of the vocal tract with affect both the sound that comes
out and the way it feels.
Further to this, I would not be surprised if the vocal chords depend to
some extent on mucus from other parts of the mucous membrane than the part
that cover the vocal chords themselves.
In sum: nothing need irritate the vocal folds themselves, yet singing will
be affected.
We can be very precious about our voices. I have abused my voice on many
occasions before I became serious about singing, and it has worked out well
for me. Some others are not so lucky, however.
On a totally different subject: what is a Voice Technician? Am I one?

john

At 10:26 AM 7/25/00 +0100, you wrote:

>Dear Listers,
>
>Thank goodness for Lloyd and Rodge for the
>sensiblities on this ice cream nonsense! I have not
>posted to the list for a while, as there's been
>nothing or any interest being circulated (to my mind
>at least) but now here's a point of fact that needs to
>be dealt with.
>
>As Lloyd so rightly said, the cords do not come into
>contact with milk, lemons, banoffie pie; whatever,
>unless you're eating too quickly and choke! Of course
>we all know that milk can make the cords feel gloopy,
>but the fact is, that nine times out of ten, it's
>going to be in your head: you think you're feeling
>gloopy rather than actually are. ...
>It's also not a good idea to suggest other things that
>singers/listers should or should not drink.
>Personally, I loathe water and won't touch it. I would
>rather have a pint of beer!! I also love orange juice,
>but if I drink that, I am as husky as Hell, so no go
>there! Milk and chocolate have no effect on my singing
>at all; I can happily eat a bar of choc and sing like
>an angel!! Lol! We're just different that's all, and
>that's what makes this whole subject so fascinating.
>So come on everybody, stop being so precious. That's
>all it is really! Not meant to offend, but singers
>being precious is almost as bad as being too
>politically correct!!
>
>Best wishes,
>

>Ian Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com