Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Tue Jul 25, 2000  10:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] is icecream bad for voice?

Dear Listers,

Thank goodness for Lloyd and Rodge for the
sensiblities on this ice cream nonsense! I have not
posted to the list for a while, as there's been
nothing or any interest being circulated (to my mind
at least) but now here's a point of fact that needs to
be dealt with.

As Lloyd so rightly said, the cords do not come into
contact with milk, lemons, banoffie pie; whatever,
unless you're eating too quickly and choke! Of course
we all know that milk can make the cords feel gloopy,
but the fact is, that nine times out of ten, it's
going to be in your head: you think you're feeling
gloopy rather than actually are. I'm not saying
that's not so for some people, it's just that so many
singers these days try to avoid so much of which they
consider detrimental to their vocal health, when in
reality they'd probably be ok, that they may as well
be hermits and live in Rodges polythene bubble!!

Of course you must look after your voice and your
physical well being, but do not pamper it! It's a fact
that a damaged voice will sometimes be weaker when
repaired than it's healthier brother, but it's quite
difficult to damage your voice in anycase. It stands
to common sense reason that you wouldn't want to stand
in a sand storm before singing Traviata, 'coz you
probably wouldn't give of your best!! My niece, who
had a beautiful mezzo contralto voice, decided when
she went to music college, she was a high mezzo, and
consequently with singing in the wrong tessitura, and
having given up dairy products as they made her voice
gloopy,now sounds like a banshee coming out of Hell!
This is a point in fact: she is blaming dairy products
on her rotten singing, and not facing facts that it's
actually her technique that's at fault!!

It's also not a good idea to suggest other things that
singers/listers should or should not drink.
Personally, I loathe water and won't touch it. I would
rather have a pint of beer!! I also love orange juice,
but if I drink that, I am as husky as Hell, so no go
there! Milk and chocolate have no effect on my singing
at all; I can happily eat a bar of choc and sing like
an angel!! Lol! We're just different that's all, and
that's what makes this whole subject so fascinating.
So come on everybody, stop being so precious. That's
all it is really! Not meant to offend, but singers
being precious is almost as bad as being too
politically correct!!

Best wishes,

Ian Voice technician. Bromley, Kent, England

3136 Re: is icecream bad for voice? John Alexander Blyth   Tue  7/25/2000   5 KB

emusic.com