Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jul 20, 2000  6:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] more news! and more questions

Not-quite serious answers from Mighty Mezzo:

>From: stephanie <lovelord@i...>
>
>Hi everyone
>I saw my voice teacher today and it was awesome!!
>I start with her next week.
>I have 2 questions:
>1. She said after hearing my sing and scales, that I am probably a mezzo.
>What exactly is this?

A soprano who can follow a harmony line. No, seriously, "mezzo" is Italian
for "middle"; we're considered to be somewhere between contraltos and
sopranos.

[What's the difference between sopranos and Sopranos? One is a remarkably
popular group of murderous sociopaths. The other is a cable TV show about
an organized-crime family.]

It is a somewhat nebulous classification. My teacher ("Starmezzo") says
that the things which make ME a mezzo are the dark coloring and a long lower
extension on my voice. On the other hand, I have a reliable high B-flat and
startled her a few weeks ago with a D over high C.

Mezzos get really fun parts in operas: funny old ladies, sexy b****es and
cute little boys. And there's some really, really nice sacred repertory as
well.

ON THE OTHER HAND: I would point out that when I was first studying voice,
I was mis-diagnosed as a high soprano. Your diagnosis may change as you
learn how to manage that big voice properly.

Which leads me to my next answer...

>2. She said I have a big voice. Does this mean I am really loud or
>something?

It means that you will rarely, if ever, need to use a microphone while
singing. Not necessarily that you are loud, but that you can be *heard*.
You may want to check out the "Ten Warning Signs of a Big Voice" on my
website. And, if you were baptised as a baby, ask your parents how much of
a ruckus you made.

>Thanks for your help
>Steph

Your welcome. Congratulations on finding your new teacher.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

I think gasoline should cost 49 cents a gallon. No, darn it, make that 29
cents a gallon! Also the gas-station attendants should pump it for you. And
when you get home, you should be able to watch Milton Berle on your Philco
TV. --Dave Barry

3076 Re: more news! and more questions Mezzoid@a...   Thu  7/20/2000   2 KB

emusic.com