Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Wed Jul 19, 2000  7:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] weight training?

--

I just wanted to add to this discussion. I started working out on a regular
basis 4 months ago. (This is the first time in my life I've exercised
regularly) The thing I've noticed about my singing isn't so much a muscular or
even physical difference. But, I found that working out has helped my
confidence. I don't know if I can explain what I feel completely or clearly,
but when I excercise (on a Pre-Cor machine) for my 30 minutes of cardio work, I
usually have to force myself to finish. I come up with every excuse in the
book to quit early, but my little "coach" in my head doesn't let me do it. I
force myself to be "bigger" than the exercise. I will not be a victim of being
tired or bored. I make myself act and feel strong.

I have started to do the same thing when I sing, which has made a WORLD of
difference. I have often felt that "io son l'umile ancile" (I am the humble
servant) of the music... so much so that I somehow feel I am unworthy to sing
it. Therefore, I pull back and the music (and my vocal technique) suffers.
But, as I have developed this attitude of "I am not a victim of this aria! I
am bigger than the music!" which is reinforced in my work-outs, my voice has
grown and my confidence in what I can do has grown.

Does this make sense, or am I insane? :-)

Lisa-Marie

emusic.com