Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zürcher" <az@c...>
Date:  Mon Jul 17, 2000  10:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] weight training?

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote :

<< I would think that singers would avoid
anything that builds muscle (and perhaps stiffness or
muscle-bound tension) in the neck, but perhaps the
shoulders could use some strengthening in a
complementory way?>>

How would it improve your singing?!

<<What about breathing exercises? I know that many
teachers have some exercises that their students begin
a session with >>

I use a lot of them, especially with beginners. Several physical exercises
that induce this or that kind of breathing... panting, coughing,
"moisturizing" (?!)... slow and fast [s] or [f], isolated or in groups, with
different kinds of breath intakes inbetween, [z], [v] and "th", lip trills
and tongue trills (also both combined) on various arpeggios, melodic
patterns, portamenti and sirens... I plan to present them on my web site
some day! I know of no teacher in France that use more than one or two of
them, if any.
I always go back to them when the breath support gets wrong.

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur :
| http://chanteur.net

emusic.com