Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Fri Jul 14, 2000  10:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Some questions. . . .

Hi Kate

When I was your age, I had a very different type of voice than you describe
yours. I too was studying intensely and looking at some lighter opera
repertoire, but my voice was very light and VERY high. I was always told that
I was a coloratura (or was developing into one) because my voice moved well and
I had all of those high notes.

In answer to your question, high notes don't generally magically appear with
age. Tension (and high-note anxiety) is something that should be able to be
dealt with at any age. This certainly does not mean that your voice will not
change. It most definitely will. Certain notes will become easier, certain
ones will become more challenging. But I lost many of my highest notes with
age (I am now 30). I don't know how common this is. I still have the
flexibility in my voice, but my high e's and f's have completely disappeared.
I have instead gained a lot of weight and color in my voice, and it is allowing
me to sing arias and roles I never would have dreamed of before.

I would only advise to keep your mind open. Sing as easily as possible, play
with your voice to discover where IT wants to go and don't try to fit it into a
mold yet. Good luck to you.

Lisa-Marie
--

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000 17:37:55
radishes wrote:
>Hello everyone,
>
>How developed were your ranges at 16? Do higher notes really just
>magically materialize as you mature if you exercise the middle and
>lower registers? Any tips to help me relax my upper register?

emusic.com