Vocalist.org archive

From:  Kate Reid <radishes@r...>
Date:  Fri Jul 14, 2000  11:34 pm
Subject:  Re: Some questions. . . .response to Judy

Hello Judy,
Thank you for your input. Very simply put, I fear high
notes because I execute them terribly for the most part! I
have very good middle and low registers, so perhaps the
difference between my 'unrefined' and relatively thin top
notes and the richer more developed lower ones is so
profound that I have a tendency to want to stick to what I
do best. . . .

I think your advice is sound to stay away from competitions
for the time being. I am just thinking ahead (2 years) to
when I will be putting conservatory application materials
together. I assume that singers who can boast of titles
from competitions probably have a much better chance of
being accepted. Am I wrong?

Thanks again for your thoughtful advice and concern,

--Kate

--- sopran@a... wrote:

> In a message dated 7/14/00 1:42:56 PM,
> radishes@r... writes:
>
> << My problem? I am deathly afraid of high notes! My
> teacher has told
> me that she believes (because of my high break---Eb) that
> I will be a
> dramatic soprano eventually, I just have to wait for my
> high notes to
> develop. Currently, however, I can't sing above a high A
> without
> tensing terribly, which is why I am sticking fairly close
> traditional mezzo repertoire. I really do not have a
> lyric timbre,
> it's been rather dark since I can remember (which leads
> me to think I
> might be a mezzo).
>
> How developed were your ranges at 16? Do higher notes
> really just
> magically materialize as you mature if you exercise the
> middle and
> lower registers? Any tips to help me relax my upper
> register?
>
> On another note: I would love to start doing vocal
> competition. I
> have been chronically ill for two years now, so have been
> unable to
> do anything strenuous. However, I am starting to become
> stronger and
> think my next step should be to gain confidence in a
> competive
> atmosphere, since I am planning to study music after high
> school. I
> live in the Northeast. Any suggestions? >>
>
> Kate:
>
> I think that the most valuable thing you can do is ask
> yourself exactly WHY
> you are afraid of high notes. Most sopranos relish their
> high notes--they're
> the real glory of the soprano voice and the most
> exciting, empowering, fun
> part of what we do. We LOVE to show them off at any
> opportunity!
>
> In my opinion, you should also forget anything your
> teacher (or anyone else
> for that matter) has said about you possibly being a
> dramatic soprano. That
> idea won't do you one bit of good right now, and could
> lead you into
> dangerous territory.
>
> I'd also stay away from competitions for now--wait until
> you are more
> comfortable with your upper range and can sing soprano
> repertoire. You are
> only 16, and there is PLENTY of time. So don't put
> unnecessary stress on
> yourself. Get healthier, get stronger vocally, work on
> (gradually) developing
> your range, and concentrate on enjoying your singing.
>
> If you do that and still don't improve, it may be time to
> look for another
> teacher. This does not necessarily mean that your current
> teacher is bad, but
> perhaps not the best teacher for you.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Judy

3014 Re: Some questions. . . .response to Judy sopran@a...   Sat  7/15/2000   2 KB
3042 Re: Some questions. . . .response to Judy Margaret Harrison   Tue  7/18/2000   5 KB
3049 Re: Some questions. . . .response to Judy sopran@a...   Tue  7/18/2000   2 KB

emusic.com