Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Tue Jul 11, 2000  4:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Movie about Castrati?

Hi, List.

Some years after shooting the film, the director came to Brazil just to see
Edson Cardeiro singing live, since he might have used him instead of merging
the 2 voices. Does anyone there know Edson Cordeiro?

Bye,

Caio Rossi
> This is, of course, "Farinelli, il castrato"; 1990's early: an
Italian-Franco-Belgian production; it
> purports to tell the story of the great castrato Carlo Broschi
(Farinelli); wildly inaccurate in the
> main, though a few of the stories are intact; for example, Farinelli's
famous vocal duel with the
> trumpeter. The brother mentioned was the composer Riccardo, who was
prolific, and his arias
> were used in the film; but nothing is really known about the brothers
sharing sexual favours
> with their admirers !!
> Farinelli did NOT cause Handel to have a stroke, either.
> The film was lavishly staged and "titillating"; and, in order to produce
the castrato sound, two
> voices, those of the soprano Ewa Mallas Godlewska and the countertenor
Derek Lee Ragin
> were "morphed" electronically. A CD was issued with the film soundtrack.
>
> Do, please, have a look at my new web site: same name, but modified and
enlarged!
> Elsa
>
> Elsa Scammell,
> Church and Operatic castrati.