Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Jul 11, 2000  3:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Discussing religion on the list

Shannon,
When I saw this thread I though: oh no, Sirdar Argic! Ludwig Plutonium!
I also thought: people who believe in religions are being uncreatively
irrational, until I then thought: well I seem to have my own irrational
beliefs, without which I would be neither myself, nor generally human.
Faced with the vast impersonal nature of much that surrounds I should not
be surprised that we wish to carve something personal and meaningful out of
it. But that is the crux - meaningful though our beliefs may be they are
also personal and I admit to being irritated when perfectly good and
practical ideas are discarded because someone else thinks their derivative
world-view is under threat.
Emotional issues, about which only emotional views seem to be expressible.
Oh well. john

>Shannon Smith cantante@x...
>
>"Oh, _theater_. Theater doesn't even approach it.
> Opera isn't theater with singing and dancing.
> Opera's _opera_." --Terry Pratchett, "Maskerade"

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com