Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Mon Jul 10, 2000  5:30 pm
Subject:  Re: tangent: sight reading/musical skills

Pat wrote:

>And on the flip side, if you cannot sight read well in an audition, don't
>figure on getting called back no matter how well you thought you sang &
>how complimentary the "auditioneer" was about your singing &/or
>repetoire. I can sight read okay until my knees are knocking in an
>audition. Any suggestions as to how to overcome that would be welcome!

Martin Katz once told me that by definition I shouldn't expect to sing my
*best* every time out, but what I should be working toward is the sense
that my *near-best* can be satisfying to both the audience and me. I
suppose the same applies with sightreading. I imagine that if you do it
every day, so that you feel you sightread great, then when you get into the
audition situation and feel a bit less competent, it'll still be good!

Also, if you are going into an audition where you know you are going to be
asked to sightread, you might try visualizing yourself staying calm and
focused in the sightreading before you go. I usually do this the night
before an event (sightreading or no) in the bathtub -- go over all the
details in my mind with positive intentions, rather than letting worry and
fear take over. I think it helps!

Naomi

emusic.com