Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Jul 10, 2000  3:50 pm
Subject:  Re: En: [vocalist-temporary] Music for Christian Science Church

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Caio Rossi wrote:

> Hi, everyone.
>
> I never thought CS was so popular in the US ( at least here, on the list ).
> that's it: just a comment.

I don't think CS is that popular, in terms of religions. I got a definite
sense it was "dying out". There was definitely a moribund quality to the
church I was involved with. Most of the congregation were elderly. The
Sunday School had only 7 students in it, ranging from age 4 to age 16.

Why it's so popular with singers I can sum up in two words: Easy money.

Basically, you sing one solo and lead three hymns a week. There are no
rehearsals (except immediately before the service with you and the
organist). And if you're lucky, you don't even have to sit in on the
service - they let you sit in a little ante-room and come out only when
you actually have to sing, so you only have to pay enough attention to
make your entrances at the right time. Otherwise, you can do what so many
orchestral musicians seem to do when they're not actually playing: read
the paper or do a crossword puzzle.

If this sounds disrespectful, I suggest that you sit through a few
Christian Science services some time. They are not exactly calculated to
capture the imagination of anyone but a devout Christian Scientist. The
"sermon" actually comprises a set of fragmented Biblical readings
interspersed with Mary Baker Eddy's very *extensive* "clarifications" and
"commentaries" on the texts. Mary Baker Eddy was not exactly the most
lively or even comprehensible of writers. Her prose was marginally
better than her poetry. I dare say no more for fear of offending any
Christian Scientists who might happen to be on this list - though I got a
very clear impression that the musicians involved with Christian Scientist
churches are seldom if ever Christian Scientists themselves. I'm not sure
why this is.

Karen Mercedes
-----
Ich singe, wie der Vogel singt,