Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Jul 10, 2000  1:57 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] tangent: sight reading/musical skills

And on the flip side, if you cannot sight read well in an audition, don't
figure on getting called back no matter how well you thought you sang &
how complimentary the "auditioneer" was about your singing &/or
repetoire. I can sight read okay until my knees are knocking in an
audition. Any suggestions as to how to overcome that would be welcome!

Pat

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 20:34:09 -0400 Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
writes:
> I've enjoyed the discussion about what musical skills (sight reading,
> score
> reading, piano, etc.) a singer should cultivate. Isabelle, as
> always, your
> question shows a high degree of professionalism, motivation, and
> intelligence.
>
> One point that may have relevance to some of you: this discussion
> has
> focused mainly on the ambitions of the opera singer to function well
> at the
> big-house level. A difficult truth is that many highly-qualified
> singers
> do not have the opportunity to work in that context. Many of us do
> freelance work and even some professional choral singing. (I know,
> I know,
> some of you are saying you'll *never* sing chorally, it's terrible
> for your
> voice, you're the best singer in your conservatory and you'll
> definitely be
> solo all the way. I hope you're right but remember that everyone
> else is
> saying the same thing to him or herself!)
>
> Anyway, in the context of a freelance career, sightsinging skill is
> *imperative*. And to the extent that pianistic ability helps you
> learn
> music quickly, it too is imperative. I won't bore you with war
> stories,
> but I can say honestly that my musicianship (sightsinging in
> particular)
> has gotten me jobs, even when I was less than ideally prepared for
> auditions.
>
> It's something to think about, anyway.
>
> Naomi

> Free @Backup service! Click here for your free trial of @Backup.
> @Backup is the most convenient way to securely protect and access
> your files online. Try it now and receive 300 MyPoints.

2915 Re: tangent: sight reading/musical skills John Alexander Blyth   Mon  7/10/2000   5 KB

emusic.com