Vocalist.org archive

From:  Erica Zweig <ezweig@e...>
Date:  Sun Jul 9, 2000  9:57 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Music for Christian Science Church

Please consider, too, looking into resources re compositions by Peter Beaver
Allen (contemporary/modal); Don Humphreys has some collections which are usually
very pleasant arrangements, not difficult to learn and usually composed for and
welcomed by many Christian Science congregations; old standards such as James
MacDermid; Avelyn Kerr; Frederick Root. I have sung for the CS church for
m-a-n-y years; my personal favorite composer is Martin Broones.
Contacting a reading room or even the Mother Church in Boston, or perhaps
the CS Monitor newspaper, might be resources to find out if any of these
composers (or others) provide tapes or cd's now with their anthologies--bet they
do! Or find out the publisher, say, of Don Humphreys and call or write (or
e-mail) them to see if they include packages with cds/tapes.
Also, Louise Maynard in the Visalia church has recently put together a
"concordance" of 5,000 compositions appropriate for Christian Science services
and would be an excellent resource.
Best of luck. Keep singing! --Erica Zweig