Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Sun Jul 9, 2000  5:50 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Music for Christian Science Church

In a message dated 7/8/00 10:16:16 PM, MFoxy9795@a... writes:

<< there are some; i don't know the exact titles (i don't know about the
CD.)>>

I was a CS soloist for years and searched far and wide for material. I never
once saw a collection with a CD--it's not a bad idea, though!

I did come across one collection of sacred works with CD--it has the Mallotte
Lord's Prayer, some spirituals, perhaps an Ave Maria etc--so only portions of
it would be usable.

One excellent collection to start with is the Mack Harrell book (he was a
Christian Scientist and his arrangements are just about guaranteed to be
acceptable). There is also an officially sanctioned set (2 volumes) of
settings of MBE poems--my churches supplied them for me. IMHO, the
arrangements by Frederick Root are about the best, although there is also a
very nice setting of "Shepherd Show Me" by Jean Alden Joy.

<<i can tell you, though, that the text of the solo in the Christian
Science
church must be either from Scripture or by Mary Baker Eddy. >>

Not so--at least not where I've sung! Although most churches will require an
MBE solo on a regular basis (usually once a month) and have a preference for
scriptural-based music, I have had great successes with many, many works that
are not direct (or even indirect) quotes from scripture. (EG, "Be thou with
me"). I've sung spirituals (my church LOVED Balm in Gilead) and even made up
my own texts (to Mozart's Ave Verum Corpus) for example.

In fact, I've actually gotten into trouble with some pieces that are entirely
scriptural. The passage "and though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh
shall I see God" (from I know that my Redeemer liveth) is anathema to some CS
people, although not all.

Judy

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2902 Re: Music for Christian Science Church Karen Mercedes   Mon  7/10/2000   5 KB

emusic.com