Vocalist.org archive

From:  "D. M. Moore" <adinca@i...>
Date:  Sat Jul 8, 2000  6:28 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] How did they do it? - Corsets

sopran@a... wrote:

> Has anyone been watching 1900 House on PBS?... Now I know that you can "lean"
> against the corset to maintain some expansion of the ribs, but how do you get
> a really decent breath in the first place when wearing a tightly laced corset?

I've seen a custom designed corset used by an acquaintance (this year) and it is
especially designed not to pull in the lower rib cage - the seamstress & the
soprano took special care to be sure about this. And you only lace it is tight
as you need to. She also spoke about needing to wear it for a few days to get
back into the habit. If anyone is interested, I think I have the web site
somewhere... and there is a pattern also available.

Diane Moore
Soprano, Silicon Valley, CA

emusic.com