Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Michael Mayer" <mjmayer@h...>
Date:  Sat Jul 8, 2000  5:20 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] vocal problems

Bryan, I understand your problem. I too in the past have had instruction to
try and get my focus in the nasal area. But I agree with one of the other
your focus in the nasal area. There is such a thing as nasal resonance, but
it is a result of efficient phonation and resonance balance. Nasal resonance
is not the only aspect of good singing, it is just one part. I would suggest
starting out by not trying to do anything, because when we try to do
something we are by definition doing more than we need to. Just breath
slowly and sufficiently, phonate easily and completely, and pronounce words
simply. Remember that singing comes from speaking, and granted not everyone
speaks well, we should still strive to keep the relationship. As the
intensity of your vibration grows and you continue to let go of tensions
that block the resonance, you will then start noticing the tickling
sensation of nasal resonance. Just don't try to skip the process of letting
your voice grow. Remember, our voices are not a piece of machinery, they are
part of nature just like a tree. The condition of your voice today is not
the same as it was a year ago, as well as a year from now. Give it time to
grow and provide plenty of nurturing so it will stay healthy and grow
strong.
Michael