Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jul 6, 2000  9:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MP3.com

Dean,
I don't know how it goes in the U.S., but in Canada there are tons of
little regulations about all sorts of things which no-one bothers to
enforce, and both countries have an honourable record of civil
disobedience. On the other hand the U.S. is famously litigious, and
corporate entertainment interests might just be able to lobby in the right
way.
john
(whose knowledge of political decision-making comes largely from a poli
sci course taken when there were two germanies, one yugoslavia and a great
big USSR!)

At 05:30 PM 6/29/00 -0400, you wrote:
>what was actually happening. Their main argument was that when an account
>holder played his CD at the office, anyone within the sound of the music
could
>hear it and that, they said, was a violation of copyright. Come-on people.
>This is the same argument used by HFA and ASCAP when they posted a warning
that
>anyone listening to another's CD playing in a public place, the park, a
store, a
>backyard was guilty of copyright violation and would be fined.
... Well, you'd better start getting interested before
>Congress decides to pass a bill removing our rights to sing or hum
copyrighted
>material which is played in the supermarket within the hearing of another.
>That's where all this is going. And once the bill is passed it will be
too late
>to quash it.
>
>--
>Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.