Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Thu Jul 6, 2000  5:18 pm
Subject:  RE: [vocalist-temporary] Bach's choir, was: sight singing and pia no skills

Welcome back, Laurie,
I do feel that Bach saw and perhaps rehearsed or taught his choristers
every day. I'm not sure what I think about him just composing for himself
and his God, but I have never heard an entirely satisfactory performance of
my own compositions - either it's just not well done, or the performer's
interpretation, however valid (and it *is* valid) results in a conception
very different from what I had in mind, of which more in a minute.
I remember the first time I actually had something performed, and the
curious mix of emotion: no real surprises, because I knew what was supposed
to happen. Perhaps I felt a sense of relief that this was so. Composition
is such hard work - the music comes easily enough for me, but to make it
legible and to stick in all of the slurs etc., and to go through the same
process with parts. That's where the 90% perspiration is expended! But
every so often a performer comes along that you just have to hear in your
work, or you compose a piece that makes you feel : this'll show 'em! Or
else there is just the sense of competing the composition cycle with a
performance. Singing, despite the occasionally arduous preparation, is much
more of an immediate gratification thing! Yay, singing!
Now the unasked point that I want to make is that a musical composition
once complete has its own life to lead and its own meanings to acrue. There
is no 'right tempo' only a continuum, and the composer's intentions
constitute only one factor amongst many to be considered when performing.
Early Music performance practice as we understand it is as much a product
of our own age than of that of its genesis. I would also like to assert, or
remind, that any singer whose eighth notes are all the same length and
always half the length of the quarter notes is more likely to impress me
than move me. I just wanted to say that because I often see (not just)
young performers who are unable to truly perform due to excessive deference
to notation.
I think that Bach, like many of us, was a show-off, albeit a disciplined
and pious one! john

At 04:40 PM 7/6/00 +0200, you wrote:
>British Cathedral choirs often only get one rehearsal - on the day - before
>they have to perform.
>
>Performing pieces previously unseen without rehearsal during services
>happens from time to time as well.
>
>It's all a matter of what one is used to. However, I have a private theory
>that Bach almost never heard a performance of a concerted piece he found
>satisfactory. I have another private theory that he composed to satisfy
>himself and God, and the presence or absence of an audience was a matter of
>indifference to him. This attitude, while uncommon, is not at all unusual
>among composers; indeed it is close to my attitude to my own music.
>
>Regards / vriendelijke groeten
>
>Laurie Kubiak
>Commercial Analyst - Europe & Africa SMMS
>Sales and Contract Support, Shell Services International
>Shell Centre, London SE1 7NA
>Telephone: +44 171 934 3853; Fax: +44 171 934 6674
>Mobile: 07771 971 921: E.mail: Laurence.l.Kubiak@i...
>Office: LON-SC 631

>Who invented Gatorade -- and what part did it play in
>winning the1967 Orange Bowl? Find out the true facts at

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

emusic.com