Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Thu Jul 6, 2000  9:22 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

In message <20000705231937.8F83A7E8C84@c...>, Reg
Boyle <bandb@n...> writes

> Possibly a relevant detail I was reading of late.
>JSBach had barely a week to teach his young and fairly
>uncooperative boys the cantata or what-ever for the following
>Sunday, and it's been a puzzle how he managed it each week?
>Especially in view of its complexity.
> It seems that he had two specific details he
>regarded as essential. One was absolutely perfect rhythm
>and the other was the boys hitting the pitch dead centre.
>Any advance on this?
>Regards Reg.

At the risk of lowering the tone of this thread, J S Bach is also
supposed to have beaten the boys on Monday morning if they messed up the
previous Sunday - a form of motivation that, happily, we no longer use!

Regards to all, Sheila
--
Sheila Graham
www.sheilagraham.demon.co.uk

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2859 Re: sight singing and piano skills Reg Boyle   Fri  7/7/2000   2 KB

emusic.com