Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zürcher" <az@c...>
Date:  Wed Jul 5, 2000  12:03 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] American School of Countertenors WAS: David Daniels, Question about , fach, tenor arias

On May 26th, John Alexander Blyth wrote :

<< I think that the meaning of the term "countertenor" has changed quite a
bit since its first use, and it wouldn't surprise me if it parallels many
divergent practices across the Atlantic. To be crude - in England it means
a big ole choirboy, in France a high tenor (where 'tenor' means something
softer than in the US or Italy), and in the US a richer more vibrant kind
of voice.>>

The French version you refer to is actually called "haute-contre", not
"contre-ténor", which has the same meaning as elsewhere.

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur :
| http://chanteur.net

emusic.com