Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  2:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: seth riggs

In a message dated 6/30/00 2:28:57 AM Central Daylight Time,
bandb@n... writes:

<< Dear Randy,
Damping of a moving body such as the vocal folds, is a
function of its frictional losses and the load presented to it by the air
column upon which it acts.
While it is useful to consider this principle in developing
an acceptable technique of singing, ideal damping will be a secondary
effect, not a primary one that is directly controlled.
It is futile for SLS to claim objectivity while it uses terms so loosely. >>

Well, Reg I guess the objectivity you claim I'm claiming is based upon many
hours in the voice lab viewing stroboscopic exams ... dampening does exist;
I've seen it, therefore what more do you want from me as an individual to
back this claim. Also, I don't think it is a secondary effect but a result
of prephonatory tuning. An individual has great control over the
prephonatory position of the folds, why else would there be such a great
difference in onset quality amongst singers. Many SLS exercises are designed
to bring the folds into certain states of adduction, this in terms influences
the air column. The narrower the gap prior to phonation the less air that
has to be used to engage Bernoulli.

A quote from Reg:

But since you have classified SLS as an informed pedagogy by associating it
with that of Miller, I would like to know whether you include the mouth and
lips as part of the deformation of the vocal tract that you find so
objectionable.
If not, where do you imagine the demarcation lies and how do you isolate
the regions if not by imagery?

Assuming this is proprietary information, am I left to guess that the
secret lies in general immobility of vocal apparatus? I think not.

>SLS instructors aren't into imagery as a tool, feeling it is too vague and
>subjective, we use exercises that induce or stimulate targeted behaviors.

Isn't this what all teachers do and still classify it as imagery?
Targeted behavior?
To induce...? A certain tone?
" " ...? A fixed epiglottis??
Please convince me of your objectivity.

My response:

When discussing a deformation that directs resonance into a particular place,
you know exactly what I'm getting at. Artificially directing the resonance
uses a coupling with the vocal tract that attempts to keep all sensations
localized in one region Just as Miller has stated concerning the yawn
position, this creates a rigidity and state of being amongst muscle groups
that wasn't meant to be.

Imagery? A targeted behavior is one that the clinician (as someone degreed
in SLP, I've had a lot of training in this area) desires to reinforce through
very specific measures that are designed to produce, stimulate, or induce the
target. Imagery such as open the spine, pretend this or pretend that are not
part of the process. They are too subjective and leave too much to chance.
When creating behaviors, you cannot leave anything to chance, you need to use
devices that either create or shape towards the goal.

As far as this information being proprietary, it's not, but hopefully the
attitude displayed in your post is. I hope I convinced you of my
objectivity, you certainly convinced me of something in your post.

Randy Buescher

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2781 Re: seth riggs Reg Boyle   Sat  7/1/2000   4 KB

emusic.com