Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rachel Hughes" <despina@p...>
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  4:44 am
Subject:  Fw: [vocalist-temporary] Oh what a difference a week makes...

Hi Matthew,

My 2 cents worth...

> In a last ditch effort, he applied pressure to a couple of
> different places under my jaw while I sang. The first time, it was near
> the front, and nothing helped. The second time he applied pressure to the
> area under my chin near the part where the jaw bone curved upward (sorry,
> I don't know all the actual names of the bones or anything like that) and
> said the sound improved. He showed me where to apply the pressure and
> then had me sing some notes

First of all, congratulations! Don't you just LOVE those moments?

Are you talking about the area around the hinge of the jaw (the area just in
front of and slightly below the ears, the part that bulges out if you clench
your teeth)? If so, the pressure your teacher used probably focussed your
attention on making space at the back of your mouth instead of the front.
Sometimes we focus too much on opening up at the front of the mouth, which
can create all kind of tension. Opening at the back creates more space in
the resonance chamber and helps out the soft palate too, without creating
tension.

I've heard and read a number of descriptions of this phenomenon, such as:
-As my teacher puts it, "focus on the space between your upper and lower
molars"
-Imagining an "inner smile" on the inhale
-Think of singing through an extra mouth at the back of your head (kinda
funky, but it works)

> My teacher recommended practicing while applying the pressure and
> then slowly letting go and then reapplying it as needed. To me, that
> sounds like a good idea, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd
> really love to hear them. And if anyone can explain how or why there has
> been this sudden, miraculous, and positive change in my voice, I'd really
> appreciate that, too!

I'd say your teacher is right. Practice using the pressure for a while, and
eventually you'll develop the mental awareness without the physical "help."

Again, congrats on your discovery, and enjoy your experiments!
Rachel
Houston, TX
despina@p...

emusic.com