Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Fri Jun 30, 2000  1:34 am
Subject:  tangent: sight reading/musical skills

I've enjoyed the discussion about what musical skills (sight reading, score
reading, piano, etc.) a singer should cultivate. Isabelle, as always, your
question shows a high degree of professionalism, motivation, and
intelligence.

One point that may have relevance to some of you: this discussion has
focused mainly on the ambitions of the opera singer to function well at the
big-house level. A difficult truth is that many highly-qualified singers
do not have the opportunity to work in that context. Many of us do
freelance work and even some professional choral singing. (I know, I know,
some of you are saying you'll *never* sing chorally, it's terrible for your
voice, you're the best singer in your conservatory and you'll definitely be
solo all the way. I hope you're right but remember that everyone else is
saying the same thing to him or herself!)

Anyway, in the context of a freelance career, sightsinging skill is
*imperative*. And to the extent that pianistic ability helps you learn
music quickly, it too is imperative. I won't bore you with war stories,
but I can say honestly that my musicianship (sightsinging in particular)
has gotten me jobs, even when I was less than ideally prepared for
auditions.

It's something to think about, anyway.

Naomi

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2901 Re: tangent: sight reading/musical skills Patricia M Smith   Mon  7/10/2000   4 KB
2915 Re: tangent: sight reading/musical skills John Alexander Blyth   Mon  7/10/2000   5 KB
2920 Re: tangent: sight reading/musical skills Naomi Gurt Lind   Mon  7/10/2000   3 KB

emusic.com