Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Thu Jun 29, 2000  2:25 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: seth riggs

--

On Thu, 29 Jun 2000 00:55:48
buzzcen wrote:

>About dampening.... The question of dampening is part of the pedagogy of SLS
>and I know Lloyd has brought this into question several times.
>
>In dampening, the amplitude of vibration is not would contribute to a robust
>sound in in my estimation. It would be the length of the closed cycle which
>would lead to more compression of the airstream, hence more rarefaction
>leading to more amplitude in the sound wave. I've witnessed dampening during
>stroboscopic exam. The folds lack the elasticity to indefinitely lengthen,
>so a reduction of vibrating length is a way to accomplish higher pitches.

I don't actually understand what "dampening" is. And how is this accomplished?
Do SLS teachers ask students to "reduce the vibrating length" in the vocal
folds? The parts of SLS I have understood from this list are intruiging to me,
but I, for one, can't imagine how to change the properties of what my vocal
folds are doing without some sort of musical imagery. Is there a "method" or
is it up to each teacher to explain in their own way?

Thanks for the info.

Lisa-Marie

Send FREE Greetings for Father's Day--or any day!
Click here: http://www.whowhere.lycos.com/redirects/fathers_day.rdct

emusic.com