Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Wed Jun 28, 2000  9:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Seth Riggs, Speech Level Singing,Full Resume an...

Mary Beth wrote:

Isabelle,
> I knew that there would be skepticism about Seth's results and those
of
> Speech Level Singing, and therefore, I was hesitant to post them. Let me
> remind you, that many people study with multiple teachers. One for
technique,
> one for style, one for repertoire etc. Seth would not falsely advertise
his
> students names. Why should he? He has a reputation in every genre of
music,
> notwithstanding the Opera world. I would venture to say, that there is no
> other teacher that has had the succes in ALL genres of music that he has
had.
> Unless, of course, his students that won the National Metropolitan
Opera
> Auditions and fill in for Pavarotti and Domingo, are not considered "True,
> legit, succesfull" Opera singers. Or perhaps the music performed at Covent
> Garden, Munich Opera, San Francisco Opera, La Scala under the direction
of
> conductors such as Zubin Mehta, Michel Plasson, Cerde Albrecth, was not
> considered legitimate Opera music either.

I was wondering: has anyone here, besides SLSers of course, read Seth's
book? What do you think? My singing teacher had the following impression
when she listened to the cds accompanying the book: the man who sings there
for the exercises is very good, the woman has something strange about her
voice and... she didn't like Seth's voice production!!!! But she couldn't
really define what!

Anyway, as a speech therapist and a having studied singing at Berklee she
says what he states is right: not rising the larynx ( though she advocates
lowering it for higher tones ), avoid belting ( though she says many
teachers she had at Berklee could do that without any harm ) and develeping
head voice without noticeable passagi. She's for rising the soft palate, and
he's against engaging any 'extra' muscles in the singing process. She does
trills rather than vowels for vocalizes, just like he does in the beginning
lessons, but she said that it's impossible to have a beginner go from chest
to head voice so easily and so up high in the first exercise as he does on
the cd. I should agree ( I couldn't )!

Besides that, I have a question: what does SLS say about singing in the
mask, just like Mariah Carrey and most rockers I listen do too?

Best regards,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com