Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Mon Jun 26, 2000  2:32 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

> I agree--but you don't have to master the piano to be able to do this!
>
> If you can sight sing well (a far more important skill for a singer than
> piano) then you don't need to waste time having someone pound notes for
you.

Actually, I must disagree here, sorry. I have perfect pitch and can
sighread most anything, however, I still do not like to sight read a new
piece in my repertoire. For me, I think it is better vocally to get the
song in my ears first by playing it on the piano, along with the chordal
harmonies in the piano part/reduction.
This does two things - first of all, it saves on vocal energy. Playing
piano is something I can do for 5 hours a day, singing isn't. If i have to
use my voice every time I want to learn new music (and i learn lots of new
music) then this will eat up on time I could be spending on technique (which
a lot of us lately seem to agree is important) and polishing other pieces.
The other thing that happens is that I get it in my ear and hear the
harmonies, and I'll memorize the piece faster on the long run. I guess the
other thing too is that I tend to do a lot of music w/ lots of coloratura in
it - and I still find it beneficial to hear the melismas before singing
them, and this reduces any chances of vocal tension that may evolve from
sight singing. A lot of singers also view sight singing as a bit of a
difficult chore, and it can be quite vocally damaging to get all tense and
try to read at the same time. this is not to say a few minutes each day
should not be spent learning to become a better reader - always, always, it
is good to be able to sightread, and there are many gigs (choirs included)
where if you can read most things, you can make quite good pay!

> If you can't sight sing, another approach is to have a coach record the
song,
> aria, whatever in what I call "loudfinger"--sketching in the accompaniment
> but primarily playing the vocal line--and use the tape to master the
notes.

I think if i couldn't play the piano, this would be the way to go for
learning my music rather than sighreading. Sure it might cost a little, but
if it is a good coach who is accurate and understands what the singer needs
to hear in the accompaniment, then it works.

> I never said that playing the piano is not a valuable skill, quite the
> contrary. But if time and money are limited, as they are in my case, I
> believe that it's a much better investment to become a good reader
(shouldn't
> take as long, either!)

I have to agree with Judy - it does take some dedication to learn to
play the piano. However, I think it is also hard to learn to sight sing
too, for some people! So it does depend. Also - it doesn't take thousands
of private lessons to play the kind of piano most singers are wanting to
attain. A few lessons (to motivate!?) to set you on the right track, and a
lesson or so every once in a while to learn the ropes might just do it, for
those on a limited budget. One might also be able to trade singing lessons
for piano lessons w/ another pianist - just an idea!

Fiona

emusic.com