Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 25, 2000  11:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Training Methods

Dear Les and Vocalisters:

Les wrote:
"What can they (voice students) get from them (independent voice
teachers) that they can't get from other forms of education? The
one-on-one attention is a given."

"I tend to think that some of those things as being:
How to find out about auditions
How to audition
Stage deportment and dress
The process of how to learn a song or role effectively
How to figure out what your voice is best suited to do"

COMMENT: I am not sure I can answer this but I will try, of course.
Because learning to sing well is such an individual, unique skill it
is best taught individually and with a uniqueness that fits each odd
talent. For me, this is the primary reason for the existence of the
private or independent voice studio. The concept of "studio" implies
a one-on-one relationship which teaches, disciplines, nourishes, and
guides. This is the oldest and most traditional form of education.
Studio education also exists in other forms of art such as painting,
sculpture, etc. but in these forms it often becomes a one-on-several
relationship.

Studio teaching is a problem for any education system that is founded
on the concept of mass production or a generalized approach that must
be used because of cost restraints. I have mentioned before that any
education system that considers its students to be consumers is
basically viewing their product as little more than something one
buys, uses, and throws away. But if education is to have any real
meaning, it will change the people involved, both student and teacher
and administrator. And that change is life long and on going.

All of the examples you give could just as easily be taught in a
generalized, larger class with the possible exception of the last one
(what your voice is best suited for) and many universities do provide
such a course. The person teaching such a course needs to be
constantly updating his/her information because the music industry is
in a continual state of flux. The constant in such a course is a
concern for the individual such that he/she will find answers to
these questions that best suit them, individually. If we attempt to
train artists we encourage the individualism of each artistic
expression.

After reading this over, I am still not sure I have answered your
question. Please do respond and let us continue this discussion.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com