Vocalist.org archive

From:  Reg Boyle <bandb@n...>
Date:  Sun Jun 25, 2000  7:28 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] There's Hope Yet!

Dear Peggy,
I've no doubt your observations are most correct
and generous, however, the devil's in the detail. It appears that
you are most impressed by deference paid to the conservatory
system that Lloyd so magnificently upheld. Most are.
Naturally I would not suggest there is a lobby at
work in the attributions contained in the credits, merely that there
are, as Lloyd said, the reputations of great educational institutions
being offered as the guarantee of a complete training. Excellent.

So now the detail?
The extensions of the training beyond the institutions?

Can it be that it wasn't necessary, or is there simply more
to be gained by down-playing the difficult subsequent honing that
the individual must do before he is entitled to become a member of
the team? For team-work is a product of a communal system and
conflicts with the essential selfishness of any training, especially
singing!
I loudly applaud Lloyd's principle of the best for the
most and agree with the other principle of harmony of relationships
required for team-work, but I imagine it may be irksome to simultaneously
inculcate the imperative of selfishness in vocal technique,and yet
that would seem to be an essential.
More lowly trained people can perform all you describe
but the glorious plaudits will be missing: it never looks as good to
say, 'I did it _despite_ the help of Betty Smith. The bitch :)'
I agree and take comfort from your following lines.

>(if) I were to dare to generalize
>from this one production, I'd say that the American system of training
> opera singers is in fine shape. Long may it reign.

Best Wishes Reg.
PS. Betty Smith is a fictional character and bears no resemblance to
another human being, living or dead.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2816 Re: There's Hope Yet! natural@w...   Tue  7/4/2000   2 KB

emusic.com