Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dre de Man <dredeman@y...>
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  10:23 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Head voice range (was: Height/Range)

Dear Tako and list,
--- Tako Oda <toda@m...> wrote:
> To be fair, I'm sure there were more of these high
> flying tenors in the
> age of bel canto. Height is inversely linked to
> vocal weight in most
> cases. Since the advent of the Wagnerian tenor,
> there have probably been
> fewer tenors who can soar to F5.
This is exactly what interesses me in this subject.
Maybe the lighter tenors, (leghiero and lighter
lyrical) the ones that can do the belcanto repertoire,
are too much being trained like heavier tenors, and
also too often sing like heavier tenors (repertoire
and volume).
If Rossini hated loud high notes, maybe a tenor that
should sing Rossini, should not be trained to sing
high notes very loud? The same could be true for many
other pre-Verism composers of course.
A few weeks ago I heard from a conductor for whom I
made some cd's, that a tenor he wanted to use for Il
Barbiere de Sevilla, told him he could not do it,
because he could not sing the coleratura's anymore.
The guy is very young and does (or did?) have a light
voice, although not completely clear. In my opinion
something must have gone wrong there, but maybe the
guy himself is happy with his bigger voice, who knows?
It is just a feeling, after all I lack the experience
to judge, but I am sure about one thing: I certainly
want to avoid to get the experience by making my own
voice worse.

Best greetings,
Dre

http://mail.yahoo.com/