Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Loryn Ankeny" <lankeny@w...>
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  8:49 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] my first solo

I do know how you feel. I have been there. The more you perform, the better
it will be. The trouble is one never knows what will happen each time you
do a solo, especially as you begin to do solos. One comfort, it usually
isn't as bad as you think. Others usually aren't as critical as you are
with yourself.

Keep plugging away. It will get better. I can vouch for that. Breath
support is always the first thing to go too. Usually for weddings, they
were probably listening to the melody and the words. They probably didn't
hear many of the things you thought were not good, because they are not
attune to those things. Put it behind you and it will get better.

I just keep getting up there and doing it. Sometimes things happen after
many times of doing it and sometimes I think I am crazy to do it, but I keep
doing it.

A good book to read is"Power Performance for Singers", by Shirlee Emmons and
Alma Thomas. It'll give you a lift.

Keep plugging.

Loryn A.