Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  8:47 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

And I'm
> not sure where one would find a simple repetiteur;

I'd start with an accompanist who works with singers - pay for their time at the
accompanist rate to help teach you the notes, and to record the accompaniments
for you on
tape. I've worked in that role for other singers (though not for pay) when
I've worked
with them in scene or performance classes. My piano playing isn't that great,
but my
sightreading of vocal lines and rhythm are. I've found that most problems
folks have are
with tricky rhythms and entrances. The advantage of a live person over a
recording or
computer is the extra set of ears (focusing on musical errors), the ability to
stop you
when you make a mistake that needs to be corrected immediately (you might not
catch it
yourself), and the ability to work a small section over until it's right and
won't go
wrong again. I've yet to experience a computer or recording that can do that
for a
singer.

Peggy

--