Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Fiona Chow" <fionat@i...>
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  8:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] score reading

> I second that! Whoever suggested this -- how in the
> world do you train for such a skill? I know that
> people who have been pianists since childhood can
> often instantly hear a melody line they look at, but
> how does an adult go about trying to learn this?

Have perfect pitch! :). (I'm just kidding).

Just
> sitting with a pile of scores and some recordings, and
> listening through? Are there people who will teach
> this kind of auditory skill?

Yes - spend hours and hours listening while looking at scores. Also,
after doing this, pick up the score by yourself w/o the recording and see if
you can still hear the melody lines, and what the instruments are doing, as
well as the various harmonies. It can be learned. And by doing this, you
learn so much about music and harmonies and text layout in the process....

Fiona

emusic.com