Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sat Mar 24, 2001  7:01 pm
Subject:  There's Hope Yet!

Dear Vocalisters:

With some recent threads about current methods of singer-training in mind, I
want to share
my wonderful experience at the Barns of Wolf Trap last night, where I saw the
young
up-and-coming singers of the Wolf Trap Opera Company perform Rossini's
L'Italiani in
Algieri on June 23, 2000.

This won't be a review (for that, check out the Washington Post next Monday
<http://www.washingtonpost.com>, or Alan Savada's and my reviews on the Opera
List
archives <http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/opera-l.html>).

All these young American singers, by their credits, have gone through the
prevalent
American system of singer-training - conservatory or large university. Many
(though not
all) have won big-time competitions and grants (e.g., Met Auditions, Richard
Tucker
Foundation, McAllister Awards). The production and stage direction were
demanding for the
performers - tons of complicated movement on a raked stage while the very
demanding and
florid Rossini music had to be sung. And not only were these singers' stage,
acting, and
comedy skills superb, the singing didn't suffer one little bit. In addition to
adoring
the production, stage direction, and overall musicianship, I was so impressed
with the
vocal technique of each of the 7 principal singers, that if I were to dare to
generalize
from this one production, I'd say that the American system of training opera
singers is in
fine shape. Long may it reign.

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2672 Re: God, What a Day! thomas mark montgomery   Sat  6/24/2000   2 KB
2683 Re: God, What a Day! Lloyd W. Hanson   Sun  6/25/2000   2 KB
2685 Re: There's Hope Yet! Reg Boyle   Sun  6/25/2000   3 KB
2816 Re: There's Hope Yet! natural@w...   Tue  7/4/2000   2 KB

emusic.com