Vocalist.org archive

From:  sopran@a...
Date:  Sat Jun 24, 2000  1:38 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] my first solo

Janis--

We have all had performances that we have not been satisfied with--that goes
with the territory!

However, it is a mistake to judge your own performances too severely. You
simply cannot know what your audience is thinking and feeling as you sing--so
please don't try to second guess. It's highly counterproductive.

My guess would be that the bride and groom appreciated your performance,
because such an emotional response is not a "negatively critical" reaction.
Maybe it was your sincerity. Maybe they responded to the emotions of your
singing and the technique did not matter to them. There are many levels on
which a performance can be enjoyed.

That said, you can also learn from this experience. And experiences like this
ARE the ones we learn from. If you had felt perfectly satisfied, you would
probably come away from this performance no wiser than before.

Because there is a tape of your performance, you actually have the
opportunity to observe yourself to see where you might have done better from
a technical standpoint. Was your posture straight and tall? Did you keep your
chest up and your chin down? Watch your breathing--that's the most likely
cause of difficulties in performance. What was your facial expression--did it
mirror the emotions in the text?

It can be painful to watch and listen--but it can also provide a powerful
incentive to improve, and give you clear ideas of exactly what you need to
work on. So make up your mind to use this performance as a tool to make the
next one much better. And guess what? It will be!

Good luck!
Judy

emusic.com