Vocalist.org archive

From:  Rosemary McNaughton <ceridwen@f...>
Date:  Fri Jun 23, 2000  5:29 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Digest Number 151

How useful more useful is it to be capable of playing the
accompaniment at tempo for pieces you're working on? I can play piano
enough to play intros at slow tempos so I can hear the harmonies, or
to play a bass line in tempo while I sing. I can sightread rhythms
and intervals at a half-decent level. But, I'm scared to put in time to
actually learn to play piano because of repetitive stress injury
problems with my wrists. I thought I was lucky to be a vocal musician
and not have to use my hands to make music! (Though holding choral
folders hurts.)

I like the idea of learning to hear scores in your head. Sounds like
it would take a lot of work, but would be really wonderful!

(In an ideal world I'd like to accompany myself for jazz songs...)

-rosemary

emusic.com