Vocalist.org archive

From:  Sheila Graham <sheila@s...>
Date:  Fri Jun 23, 2000  2:08 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

In message <20000622214939.10924.qmail@w...>, Isabelle
Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...> writes

>How long would it take the average, dedicated (let's
>say an hour of practice a day) adult (with no prior
>piano skills) to learn how to play through your
>average Verdi piano reduction score? Two years? Ten
>years?

Hi Isabelle,

I don't know if anyone has suggested this already, but how about working
at developing the skill to read the score and hear it all in your head -
I mean all the harmonies, not just the vocal line.

It certainly saves time, because it means you can be working on your
music away from the piano - on a plane, train, wherever (I have a friend
who does this while driving, but please don't!)

Sorry if someone has said this already, but I have just recently re-
discovered this list.

Regards, Sheila
--
Sheila Graham