Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kathryn Thickstun Leff" <ktleff@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 23, 2000  12:37 am
Subject:  sight singing and piano skills

> How long would it take the average, dedicated (let's
> say an hour of practice a day) adult (with no prior
> piano skills) to learn how to play through your
> average Verdi piano reduction score? Two years? Ten
> years?

Dear Isabelle,

Please follow the recommendations to learn to play piano. I wish someone
had told me that when I was your age. You will be a better singer and
all-around musician for it. Aptitude varies so greatly, I don't think
anyone can estimate how much practice and training it would take to become a
proficient sight-reader. Similarly, it is pointless to compare your present
learning speed to that you might have had when you were younger, because you
have to work with what you have now. If you can dedicate yourself to weekly
lessons and an hour a day to practice, you'll see steady progress. Get
going!

Kate Leff
San Diego

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2643 Re: sight singing and piano skills Jennifer   Fri  6/23/2000   2 KB
2644 Re: sight singing and piano skills Kylie Purcell   Fri  6/23/2000   2 KB

emusic.com