Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Thu Jun 22, 2000  7:31 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] sight singing and piano skills

>From: Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
>
>Okay, I'm brushing up my musicianship skills, and
>wanted to solicit advice about what an opera singer
>should be able to do.
>[snip]
>How do professional singers learn their roles?
>
>Isabelle B.
>
>=====
>Isabelle Bracamonte
>San Francisco, CA
>ibracamonte@y...

My childhood attempts to learn piano didn't work out, although I read music
well enough to pick out melodies. I usually say that the only reason I can
read bass clef is that I played the trombone in high school.

With my current gig in "Candide" I was expected to go into rehearsals with
the music learned and memorized. My teacher recommended a coach in San
Jose, but his schedule didn't allow for us to meet.

So... I bought the 1990 Bernstein recording and made a cassette of the Old
Lady's music to play in my car. (Aside from "I Am Easily Assimilated," much
of the Old Lady's music is ensemble work. I've found recordings invaluable
for learning ensemble stuff.) I also worked on the music with my teacher.
She has a "second job" as a jazz pianist, but she found Bernstein's music a
bit daunting. But between her, the composer and a lot of woodshedding on my
own with the score and my little keyboard, I got the sucker learned.

And now I'm going out on a limb: For all the problems, upsets and vocal
aggravation reported on this list over working in school or church choirs,
I've found that, at least for me, working in choirs has been ESSENTIAL for
getting my musicianship down. Especially a small group which requires that
one take responsiblity for the part and not just depend on the
more-experienced (or louder) singers.

"Candide" opens tonight. In the words that the chorus sings during the
Auto-da-fe, "PRAY FOR US!!" My web page has a link to tickets.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

PS: I learned most of the Witch's part in "Hansel and Gretel" in three
days.

"Singing is the lowest form of communication." --Homer Simpson