Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alain Zürcher" <az@c...>
Date:  Thu Jun 22, 2000  3:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] process vs. product

Jana Holzmeier wrote :

<< When I was a grad student at Indiana, it seemed like there was an
tremendous amount of focus put on slapping together those 5 arias and
starting the rounds of auditions. Never mind whether or not one could
actually sing, or sustain an entire role in an opera (as long as you can do
the arias, you can do the role, right?) knew the voice, or had a good grasp
of languages (just as long as the diction was good in the arias). >>

This remembers me of Renée Fleming! ;-)

In every opera with her that I have seen, she was gorgeous in the main aria
of the heroin, but absolutely dull and apparently bored in the rest of her
part. When it happens every time, it is not a coincidence, it is a system.
With the arias, she gets the parts and sells the CDs. What else could
matter?

| Alain Zürcher, Paris, France
| L'Atelier du Chanteur :
| http://chanteur.net