Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Thu Jun 22, 2000  3:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Training Methods

Dear Les and Vocalist:

You quoted me as writing:
"The private studio is of prime importance to the development of the
singing performer."

You then added:
"You don't sound convinced.:-) You usually offer at least once corroborating
proof! Why is the private studio of Prime importance? I appreciate
the head nod but please elucidate."

COMMENT: My complete statement was:
"The private studio is of prime importance to the development of the
singing performer. That private studio may exist as a separate
entity or as an entity within a college, university or conservatory.
It is the work of the private teacher which makes all the difference
for the success of any singer."

What I meant to convey in this statement is the necessity of teaching
voice on a one-to-one basis. This is the definition of studio
teaching. As I stated, the private studio is of prime importance
whether it exist as a separate entity or as an entity within a
university setting. In either case, its primary quality is its basic
character as a one-to-one relationship between the teacher and the
student.

I have never thought of the private studio as anything but the
relationship between the singer and the teacher, not where, or in
what confines that studio is found.

Hope this clears up my point of view.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA