Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  9:51 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] great music and literature

MBF wrote:

>>My point, overall, being, that we as teachers, educators and performers,
need to not isolate or elevate one style of music over another. Musical style
is one of musical choice and personal preference as it refers to ones self
expression. A well rounded education involves embracing all styles of music
and deciding for oneself what is quality and what is not.

I don't believe anyone has been trying to elevate one style over another.
Perhaps you have a preconceived notion about the academic world, but I think
the only point we professors have been trying to make is that the body of
classical music is a major component of a college education. Upon that firm
foundation may rest many other styles of music, and no one is putting them
down or calling them second class. We are simply saying that a person would
not have a solid college education if he/she had not trafficked with classical
music to a significant degree. I am all for students (and others) being well
rounded. I teach in a liberal arts college, after all, and it is what we are
about! But a person with a liberal arts education can be counted on to have
brushed elbows with the classics in a number of fields. I don't know that I
agree with you that a person must "embrace" all styles of music. There are
some I don't really care to embrace. But I can acknowledge quality in a
variety of genres, and that I am happy to do.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2605 Re: great music and literature Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  6/21/2000   4 KB

emusic.com