Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  4:46 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] great music and literature

Dear Vocalisters:

I feel a most important difference in the conveying of culture has
occurred in the last 35 years that has never occurred in all of the
history of culture in the world prior to this time.

Most of the culture that has been created in the past 35 years was
and is created for YOUTH. The discovery of the large amount of
disposable income available to the world's youth since the 1960's has
spawned an entertainment industry that will service that disposable
income in any manner that is successful.

This does not predispose the creation of a culture of lesser quality
but it does mean that the consumers of this culture have little
experience with which to judge quality.

It is for this reason that the most successful academic institutions
demand a curriculum that includes heavy doses of the culture of our
past. Without it, we are unable to make any kind of informed
decision. Proof of this last statement is the constant, ever
changing value systems displayed by a majority of the purchasers of
our pop culture. One of the greatest difficulties of today's pop
performers is trying to consistently hit the moving target of popular
"tastes".

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy