Vocalist.org archive

From:  "DIANE M. CLARK (MUSIC DEPARTMENT)" <DCLARK@r...>
Date:  Wed Jun 21, 2000  4:12 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] great music and literature -- was: rock singing

MBF wrote:

>>Whoa..........this sounds a little elitist to me.............great
> literature
> is still written today, just as it was 300 years ago..........Likewise,
> great
> music is created and written today, jsut as it was 300 years
> ago................a truly educated person will be able to approach and
> embrace all styles of music, literature and art from all eras and not just
> one. A good education involves training one to find the beaty and genius
in
> all styles and genres of art...........regardless of when it was created.

I agree with you 100%. However, the test of whether something becomes a
"classic" is endurance/popularity over a long time. That means we ourselves
will not know which things being created today will become classics as history
evolves. It it easy for people to become acquainted with the "stuff of their
day," since it is right in front of them. It takes a bit more effort to seek
out and learn to appreciate art, music, literature, etc. of times gone by.
A good education will include all of these things, as you said. It is easier,
however, to understand modern Western musical developments if one has a founda-
tion in Western classical music, which was the source of many of those trends.
I didn't say the classics WERE the college cirriculum. I said they are the
FOUNDATION of it. That's a different matter.

|\ Dr. Diane M. Clark, Assoc. Prof./Chair of Music Dept., Rhodes College
| 2000 N. Parkway, Memphis, TN 38112, 901-843-3782, dclark@r...
() http://gray.music.rhodes.edu/musichtmls/faculty/dclark.html

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2591 Re: great music and literature Lloyd W. Hanson   Wed  6/21/2000   3 KB

emusic.com