Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Mon Jun 19, 2000  10:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

I'm very intersted in this, as a baritone who has sung second bass for many
years, just because I have low notes.
Now here is the crux for me - though I don't know how loud Tako's
impressive demonstration was, my low notes don't sound like that. They do,
however, tail away in dynamic level, as I have bemoaned to this list in
approximately this fashion:

NOTE LOUDEST POSSIBLE DYNAMIC
D2 ff
C2 f
F#1 mf about here, natural vibrato is difficult
C#1 mp
B0 p or pp

Does this seem familiar to anyone? I don't think I'm doing the same think
as Tako. Hein? Hein? Very interesting comparision with speaker resonance.
john

At 06:22 PM 6/18/00 -0700, you wrote:
>At 01:40 PM 06/18/2000 -0500, nancy clasby wrote:
>>If you try strohbass, let us know what happens! :o) I read that some bass
>>voices get quite firm, strong and comfortable at singing strohbass.
>
>It sounds dangerous to me. My caution is from my own
>experiences in choral singing when I was the strongest bass in a
>way-too-small bass section, and the part was very low - in my
>normal range, but just barely. The director kept signaling me
>for more, and I knew he meant me, not the guys standing around
>me, because he knew I was the only one who could provide it, and
>he looked me dead in the eye. I provided it... By the end of
>the performance my throat felt like hamburger, and the next day
>my cords had swollen up so that I lost most of my normal upper
>range - close to an octave - and extended my lower range by
>about a 4th. It took nearly a week to get back to normal.
>
>After that, I became the spokesman for the Basses' Union, as it
>were, and whenever we were presented with a part containing a
>lot of low fortissimo's I would speak up - at first I got razzed
>for it, "The tenor section is over there, if this is too low for
>you" - but we got our section miked when necessary. I've never
>had any problem like that when called upon to "give a lot" in
>the middle or upper parts of my range. I'm curious if anyone
>else has had similar experiences - if not, maybe I just
>contracted some bass virus at that exact moment.... I'm, uh, not
>willing to try it again, so that source of data is unavailable.
>
>I"m still a little confused by my low range, to tell the truth -
>it seems to vary quite a bit from day to day when vocalizing. I
>get the feeling that the voice is like many types of speaker
>enclosures - a sharp cutoff below a strong resonance - you can
>still sing those notes, but they get softer and softer as you go
>down the scale. Since I vocalize all the way down to the point
>where I get no sound that can be called musical, I wonder

John Blyth
Baritono robusto e lirico
Brandon, Manitoba, Canada

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2549 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) Joel Figen   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB
2569 Re: pitch differences (was bach and basses) John Alexander Blyth   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB
2562 Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and basses Tako Oda   Tue  6/20/2000   2 KB
2566 Re: Strohbass (was pitch differences, bach and ba John Alexander Blyth   Tue  6/20/2000   3 KB

emusic.com