Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Dale Gillespie" <bigtenordale@a...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  11:40 pm
Subject:  Re: "Joey & Maria's Italian Wedding"

Hello all and April Fisher,

This is mostly to April Fisher.

The reason I asked about "Joey and Maria's Italian Wedding" is that I have done
the part of Uncle Lui in Tony 'N Tina's Wedding several times (not for a year
and a half right now). But your show sounds almost identical right down to the
choice of the songs of the bridesmaid (I Will Survive). Yes there are a few
differences - the Grooms ex-girlfriend instead of the Brides ex-boyfriend. Are
any of the characters names the same or similar?
This show seems very much the same, I am curious as to how the producers are
getting away with it without screaming from the powers that be at Tony "N
Tina's Wedding. Some years ago (before there was a local production of T'N T's
Wedding here in Vancouver)which turns 5 years old this summer by the way (it
was only supposed to last 2 weeks)), I was involved in a production called
"Gina and Guido Get Married". It too was an original script, as you say J & M's
Italian Wedding is, but we got nailed by T N' T in New York. After 2
performances we got a cease and desist order, or else. So we naturally complied.
I can't help but wonder that possibly the reason your show hasn't been nailed,
is that after 13 years of the original Tony N' Tina getting married in New York
(that's right, 13 years) is that the rights to the show have gone public domain.
In any case it sounds like you are having fun, and that is the important thing
(for you anyway) So keep on having fun.
Your character sounds very much like hopw I play Uncle Lui. My Uncle Lui is an
Opera singer (as well as head of the family), so from time to time I am called
upon to sing, it isn't scripted, but then in a show such as this it is 98%
improv and 2% the actual script. There will always be things thrown in along
the way. Every time I go back to the show there has been some slight change to
certain parts of the show to accomidate a certain actors talents.
Well I should go now.
Have fun april.
---
Dale Gillespie - Tenor