Vocalist.org archive

From:  "jjh" <jjh@n...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  9:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Digest Number 141

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000, Dre de Man wrote:

> This is a point I really don't understand: I know
> there are pianists that for whatever reason play too
> loud, but do so many singers have to work with that
> kind of pianists?

Dear Dre and Vocalist:

We have a wonderful staff accompanist at Wesleyan, Joan Kucera. She is
amazingly sensitive to balance when accompanying. We have a Steinway and a
Boesendorfer Imperial Grand here, in a 1500-seat hall, and Joan is able to
make either of those pianos work even with the smallest voice. I never even
have to think about balance when Joan is accompanying our students.

She came in to talk to my Vocal Ped class last semester about accompanying.
Her advice to the class:

"When playing for singers, you need to be heavy on the soft pedal and light
on the sostenuto pedal. If you can't hear the singer, the singer can't be
heard by many in the audience."

Cheers!

Jana
--
Jana Holzmeier
Dept. of Music

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
2517 Re: Digest Number 141 Ian Belsey   Sat  6/17/2000   4 KB

emusic.com