Vocalist.org archive

From:  Naomi Gurt Lind <omigurt@s...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  7:19 pm
Subject:  re: training methods

the brilliant Isabelle wrote:

>Mostly what I object to (aside from the totally
>inadequate technical training offered by
>conservatories -- yes, all those classes are helpful,
>but they should come AFTER a few years of technical
>study) is the thrusting of unprepared singers into a
>fast-paced schedule of performing, assuring them that
>they will learn by doing. Unstable technique can
>totally go to pieces under that kind of pressure.

This is a really good point, Isabelle. The best case scenario, and what I
suspect happens to most singers is that the tricks and holds that get the
singer through the performing schedule become habituated. The worst case
scenario is that the singer suffers irreparable voice damage. Even with
the best case scenario, it takes a long time to untie those knots...

Naomi

emusic.com