Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  4:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] pitch differences (was bach and basses)

In a message dated 06/16/2000 10:30:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
natural@w... writes:

<< At 09:26 AM 06/16/2000 -0400, LMorgan923@a... wrote:
>Yes, people are on the average significantly taller now than they were in
>the 18th century

Is there a correlation between adult height and vocal range? I
think if we factor out gender, there isn't. When I look at a
choir, I don't notice that the basses are taller than the tenors
or that the altos are taller than the sopranos. I would
conclude then that different factors produce height and vocal
range, and that body size and cord size are not proportional.

Personally, I don't think there's any correlation between adult height and
vocal range, either, and I didn't say that. I just said that people are
taller now than they were 300 years ago. I realize I only answered one part
of a two part question, which means it could be misinterpreted as an answer
to both parts. Sorry for the confusion.

Lee Morgan

emusic.com