Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Annelies Dille" <annelies_dille@h...>
Date:  Fri Jun 16, 2000  1:49 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Training methods

Dear Annelies,
> Our exams include major and minor scales and arpeggios
>and usually one of the Concone. Ten or 11exercises in all. They have wide
>ranging dynamics including the pp beginning rising to a forte and back,
>perhaps an mf. I've found these parts of the examination to be wonderful
>daily inclusions bringing on fantastic control and legato. Do I get the
>impression that your exams don't include these types of things?

You got that right. We don't have to do exercises or sing 'vocalises' (like
Concone) on our singing exams. But that doesn't want to say we never do
exercises! My teacher has a whole variety of exercises that we work on in a
lesson and that we practice our self. But we are not obliged to do that on
our exam. Most of the students even never sung vocalises in their education
because that's not in our curriculum.
There once was a time when the voice students had to sing folksongs and
Gregorian chant on their examination but I was very glad I didn't have to do
that! (We still had to sing Gregorian but - luckily - not on stage with a
public!)

Why I ask is because I've heard that our AMEB
>managers have suggested they are too hard, and are considering
>removing them. Seems to me that would be a step in the wrong
>direction. There are also set lists of songs form which choices may
>be made as well as an own choice group that must include songs
>of various types and languages.

We have no imposed pieces but we have to sing every style during our
education. There is a list, which contains all the required elements.

> My teacher has great little concerts too and a little
>before the exam we have a little private concert where we
>go through the whole exam for a very worthy retired singing
>personality who gives us a most detailed evaluation.
>Just in case I didn't mention it;) did I tell you all I got a 'high A
>grading?' Ahem! :)

Congratulations!
I got 16/20, which is 'Great Distinction' for my singing exam. I was very
glad about that considering my voice problems!

Was this also your final year? What are your plans then? Is your life as a
singer starting right now, just as mine? :)

> I am most interested to hear of your situation
>Anneliese. Thank you.

You're welcome! :) If I wasn't clear about some parts, just ask me again!

By the way, have you noticed how
>delightful some of those Concone exercises are?
>Check out number 46.

Yes, I know that there are very lovely vocalises because I had to explore
all those books for my teaching grade.
And my private student has learned a lot with the vocalises of Sieber. Do
you know them?

Greetings,
Annelies